The Danish Biobank Register
The Danish Biobank Register gives researchers online access to combined data from all the biobanks participating in the Danish National Biobank initiative.
Through national collaboration large biobanks, based at hospitals, universities and other research institutions in Denmark, regularly submit data to the Danish Biobank Register. Data from the biobanks are linked to disease codes and demographic information from national administrative registries on an individual level.
The Coordinating Centre
Danish National Biobank
Statens Serum Institut
Tel: 3268 9163 / 3268 5199
Danish Biobank Register
22.3 M samples from 5.4 M individuals
The Danish Blood Donor Study
Click on the logos and register names to read more.
Aggregated results about the available biological material is displayed to researchers around the world through a web-based search system, that so far contains information about 22 million biological samples from 5.4 million Danes. The following biobanks are available through the Danish Biobank Register:
- The Danish National Biobank samples from the Danish National Birth Cohort (300,000 samples), "PKU cards" blood spots from all newborn Danes since 1976 (>2 million samples), and SSI historical collections (>4 million samples).
- The DNA biobank at Rigshospitalet (50,000 samples collected annually)
- The Danish Cancer Society project biobank “Diet, Cancer and Health (samples from 57,000 cohort participants)
- The Danish Patobank (approx. 17 million tissue samples from national hospitals)
- COPSAC studies involving children with asthma
- DD2 type 2 diabetes research
- The Danish Blood Donor Study research on why blood donors are more healthy than the average population
- Danish Cancer Biobank blod and tissue samples from Danish cancer patients
And can be linked to information from:
- The Danish Civil Registration System includes individual information such as gender, date of birth, place of birth, citizenship, identity of parents, place of residence.
- The Danish National Patient Register includes information on all hospital contacts, department, date and time of arrival and departure, treatment, and operation.
- The Danish Pathology Register contains information on all pathological examinations carried out in Denmark, investigating pathology department or practicing pathologist, type of investigation, gross description, microscopy description, conclusion and/or diagnoses, and coded diagnoses based on the Danish SNOMED
Watch our introduction video to the register:
Watch our in-depth video tutorial:
Danish National Biobank 2016